How To Make A Roasted Turkey Breast - Healthy Holiday Recipe
How to Cook a Turkey Breast
If you enjoy the taste of turkey, but you do not want to cook an entire bird, you might want to consider cooking a turkey breast. This is the part of the turkey with the most meat, so you will get more servings per pound. Cook a turkey breast by roasting, grilling, frying, or smoking the meat.
Preparing the Turkey Breast
Choose a turkey breast large enough to feed the number of people you plan to serve.Turkey breasts are usually between 2 and 8 pounds (0.9 to 3.6 kg).
Decide if you will stuff your turkey breast.This is generally not possibly on smaller cuts of turkey. If you are using a breast that is 7 or 8 pounds (3.1 to 3.6 kg), stuffing is an option.
Rinse the turkey breast with cold water.Pat it dry with paper towels when you are done rinsing.
Season the turkey.You can use injectable marinades like some people do with their Thanksgiving turkey, or you can keep it simple with some salt and pepper sprinkled over the turkey breast.
- Try putting softened butter or thin slices of citrus under the skin. This will keep the breast moist during cooking and provide flavor.
- Rub the breast with olive oil or butter. You can also marinate the breast in a liquid or a brine (water and salt) the night before you plan to cook it.
Choosing a Cooking Method for Turkey Breast
Roast your turkey breast in a 350 degree Fahrenheit (176.6 degrees Celsius) oven.This is perhaps the most common way to cook a turkey breast.
- Place the breast in a roasting pan and add liquid such as chicken broth, wine or water to the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the roasting pan loosely with aluminum foil while it cooks. This will allow the skin on the turkey breast to brown and keep the meat moist.
- Roast for 20 minutes per pound. For example, a 5 pound (2.26 kg) turkey breast will take one hour and 40 minutes to cook.
Grill your turkey breast on a gas or charcoal grill.
- Place the turkey breast on the grill and lower the grill cover. This will evenly cook your turkey and prevent heat flare-ups.
- Flip the turkey breast with tongs or a spatula. Do not use a knife or a fork, otherwise you will pierce the meat and allow liquid to come out. This could result in dry turkey.
- Check internal temperature with a meat thermometer. Grilling turkey breast will always result in a darkened skin, so it can be hard to accurately determine when the turkey is done cooking. Make sure the thermometer reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit (73.8 Celsius).
Smoke your turkey breast.This will provide a unique flavor for your turkey.
- Follow the directions on your smoker. Most smokers are charcoal, electric or gas, and your cooking instructions will depend on which kind you have.
- Make sure you do not use a stuffed turkey breast in your smoker. It may not cook well, and smoked stuffing does not often have a pleasant taste.
Fry turkey breast in a deep fryer if you want to cut down on cooking time.Deep fried turkey is often good at keeping the meat moist.
- Use an outdoor propane fryer or an indoor electric fryer.
- Heat the oil in the fryer and put the turkey breast into the oil for frying.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes per pound. For example, a 5 pound (2.26 kg) turkey breast will cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
QuestionDoes it take longer to cook three turkey breasts than it does to cook one?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt depends. If you cook three turkey breasts in turn, then yes, it's going to take longer. But if you cook them all at the same time, no.Thanks!
QuestionHow many people can I feed with a 6 pound bone in turkey breast?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMy instructions recommend 1/2 pound per person, so theoretically 12 are fed with a 6 pound breast. But if you want to be on the safe side and/or have leftovers, figure on 8-9 instead of 12.Thanks!
QuestionHow long should I cook an 8 pound turkey breast in an oven bag?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAt 350 degrees, allow about 15-20 min per pound; boneless and bone-in will cook differently, and inside an oven bag usually cooks quicker than simply inside a roasting pan. Best way: I use a wired meat thermometer with external controls set to go off at about 150/155 degrees. When it goes off, turn the oven off and allow the meat to rest while it continues gently cooking another few minutes or so. This will ensure that the breast reaches minimum safe temperature of 160 degrees but maintain moistness and avoid overcooking, which is the biggest reason turkey meat ends up dry.Thanks!
QuestionHow long should I cook 5 kilograms of turkey breast?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe standard is 15 to 20 minutes per pound (approx. 1/2 kg) at 325 degrees F, to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Let it rest on the counter, covered with a tent of foil for 20 minutes, and recirculate the juices before carving.Thanks!
QuestionHow long do I cook a turkey breast indirectly on a charcoal grill?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAbout 1-1 1/2 hours, depending on the size of the bird and the heat of the grill.Thanks!
QuestionHow long can turkey be left out at room temperature and still be safe to eat?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUsually it is safe to leave turkey out for two hours or less.Thanks!
QuestionCan a cooked turkey be left out?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt can be left out for about two hours, but it will need to be refrigerated after that.Thanks!
If I froze a turkey breast that said to use by a date in 2019 and take it out in 2019, is it safe to eat?
How long do you cook a turkey breast roast
How long do I need to cook per pound?
I have to travel 1 1/2 hours with a cooked turkey breast. How do I keep it warm and make sure it doesn't dry out?
What is the right temperature when a turkey breast is finished cooking?
Before you cook your turkey breast, season it with some salt and pepper, or add some softened butter or citrus slices under the skin. If you’re planning on roasting your turkey, set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, add some broth to the roasting pan, cover it loosely with foil, and roast for 20 minutes per pound. Alternatively, to grill your turkey on a gas or charcoal grill, close the grill cover, flip the breast as the skin darkens, and make sure the meat thermometer reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit before removing your turkey from the grill.
- Experiment with different turkey breast recipes, or other ways to cook turkey. Some people like to follow recipes using a rotisserie or a crock pot.
- Make safety a priority, particularly when you use a grill or a deep fryer. Fires can start if the heat is not monitored or contained.
Things You'll Need
Tongs or spatula
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Italiano: , Español: , Português: , Русский: , Deutsch: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia:
Video: How To Cook a Turkey Breast - Turkey Breast 101
20 Fierce Flatbread Recipes
How to Make a Calming Down Corner
Roasted Vegetables with Warm Goat Cheese
The One Fat-Burning Move You Need To Sculpt Your Butt And Back
House of Fraser set to close 31 stores – with one shutting down earlier than planned
How to Determine the Sex of a Cat
Competition: Rent The Runway
Dyanavel XR Reviews
What will happen to Hubble after it stops working
Apps For Running: The 5 You Should Download Now
How to Be a Cute and Smart Middle School Girl
He ido a una clase de fitness con la entrenadora de las famosas y estoy viva para contarlo
How to Deal With a Cat Scratch
The Duchess of Cambridge Just Joked About Having More Children
Asus gaming laptop is 100 off for Prime Day